Lost Manly & the Northern Beaches (aka Lost Manly – cos Manly’s where it all began), is a local history hub that is collating the largest collection of local history from Manly to Palm Beach and the bridges that connect the peninsula, the Spit, the Roseville and the Pittwater and ferry stops along the way such as The Basin and surrounds. Lost Manly, as it was originally known, was started in July 2013 as a facebook group and had received 224 members on the first day.
It took about a year to reach the first 1000 members, and now, seven years in the making it has reached over 22,000 members and growing day by day at a steady fast pace as word spreads among members’ friends and family as the good old ‘Northern Beaches grapevine’ proves its alive and well as it’s always been.
This website will be a place where you can view the history of the Northern Beaches from its early days in 1855 when an Englishman by the name of William Bede Dalley saw the potential as a place to escape the Industrial Age era of the smoggy rat race in the bustling city for a more relaxed, beautiful setting accessible only by boat. For a short time he called the place Ellensville after his wife’s first name, but the name was changed to Manly in honour of the first account of the English fleet led by Governor Phillip, greeted by the local Aborigine tribe at Manly Cove, and the way they waded into the water in such a manly way, that left a lasting impression on the men as was recorded in their journals.
The first ferry boat trips from Circular Quay to Manly Wharf began in 1855 and soon there were three, taking hoards of daytrippers from the city to Manly as the place quicky grew. And then came the Port Jackson Steam Ship Company (PJ&MSSCo) that carried on for decades and in the early 1930s or 40s ran a competition in the newspaper to come up with a slogan for the company and one eager housewife came up with ‘Seven miles from Sydney a thousand miles from care’ and won the competition and this slogan was became the catchphrase for the PJSSCo and was painted on the wall at Manly Wharf to be seen by every ferry that sailed in and out of Manly, and with such historical significance, is why I chose it for Lost Manly (and when we say Lost Manly, we are referring to the whole northern beaches peninsula but just as it was in our history, it all began with Manly…
Well now that the Ferries were making regular trips to Manly, it was inevitable that refreshments stops were in demand, so then came Manly’s first hotel the “Manly Pier Family Hotel” opposite Manly Wharf, which could be seen as you arrived on the ferry, opposite Manly Wharf (the former Hotel Manly and now Ceruttis and Manly Apartments) which proved very popular. The newspapers of the day wrote a delightfully illustrative account of its construction and opening which was a great celebration. Oh for those days again…
Learn how they coined the phrase, ‘Seven Miles from Sydney and a Thousand Miles from Care’ that has been seen by many generations of Manly Ferry punters as you arrive at Manly Wharf.
The PJ&MSSCo. held a newspaper competition, in the 1930s to caption a slogan for their Manly Ferry service and the winner was a local Manly girl who coined the phrase ‘Seven miles from Sydney and a thousand miles from care’. Say Hi to her granddaughter in our facebook group! �
See our ever-growing collection of what was the 1930s and 1940s phenomenon of Street Photography, capturing generations of locals and tourists as they strolled from the ferry wharf to the beach, along The Corso (named after il Corso in Italy), passing St Matthews Church which is a favoured backdrop for many of the street photographs.
Other favoured locations for these 1930s and 40s phenomenon was at Manly Wharf, as punters arrived by Ferry and headed towards the Harbour Pool, Promenade, and Pavilion. We possibly have the largest photo collection of street photography taken in Manly in the 30s and 40s, from the private family albums of our facebook members that is now 21,000 members strong.
Dig up the dirt on the history of the planting of our famous Manly Beach Norfolk Pines back c1885 that are perhaps the most photographed Pine trees in the world.
And of course, the Camera Obscura and Gothic Dalley’s Castle complete with Gargoyles, that towered majestically over Manly for almost half a century. How else do you think Gilbert, Tower and Camera Streets got their names?
And then there’s the people. We have the greatest collection of candid and personal photographs of generation after generation of local friends and families who made Manly and the Northern Beaches their home; some still resident.
So come check us out and why not share your own pics and memories while your here. To experience the essence of Manly is to be seven miles from Sydney and a thousand miles from care.
Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride �
Join our engaging facebook group where it all began:
for the biggest collection of local history of Manly and the Northern Beaches of Sydney. Thousands of photos, albums, files, memorabilia and stories from historians, researchers and members’ private collections.Learn the history of Manly’s beginnings and how it grew to become one, if not, THE most endearing and enduring holiday destination in Australia, for Australians all over, and tourists from all over the world.
How one Englishman’s vision for an Utopian destination where people could soak in the surrounding natural beauty and health benefits of the fresh sea air of this undeveloped peninsula that was seven miles from Sydney by ferry, and a thousand miles from the cares of the booming, smoggy Industrial Age hub that was Sydney in the 1850s.
Discover the lasting legacy left by the now historic Port Jackson & Manly Steamship Company (PJ&MSSCo), who started the first Manly Ferry Service from Circular Quay to Manly in 1855.